Thursday, June 23, 2016

Cigarettes After Sex: An Undiscovered Beautiful Band

I loooooooooooove this band. I love love love love love this band.

The sad part? You probably don't know them.

Cigarettes After Sex was founded in 2008 in El Paso, Texas, by lead singer, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, and bass player (dayum) Greg Gonzalez, also featuring Phillip Tubbs on keyboard and electric guitar, Randy Miller on lead bass, and Jake Tomsky on drums.

What they sound like?

Well if you were to suddenly realize who the love of your life is and were to start running to him/her in the rain at 2AM in a kind of drama/romance movie scene, Cigarettes After Sex would be the background music.

The best way to describe it is a beautiful mix of sadness and love and mysteriousness all rolled up into one group. The genre is Ambient Pop, which if you aren't familiar with you should be. It's a sickly kind of beauty and I love it to death.
The lyrics tend to have a little edginess to them that I really love.

Awesome fact? Their first EP, I, was recorded in a four story stairway in Gonzalez's alma matter, University of Texas at El Paso.

But, despite my love for them I feel there are three reasons they aren't Billboard level famous.

1) The name of the band may deter some people

2) The lead singer isn't a douche that uses his attractiveness or gimmicks to get fans

3) Millennials basically don't listen to anything that isn't about big *sses, money, or being a gangster


Nevertheless, I am blessed to have found CAS because now I know what I want playing when Jesse James Rutherford comes to sweep me off my feet.


Love,

Chelsea

P.s. Check out Nothing's Gonna Hurt You Baby by Cigarettes After Sex, it's beautiful



Click the Google+ button below to gimme a like 👍

2 comments:

  1. great recommendation. this band was worth the listen.

    ReplyDelete