Tuesday, July 19, 2016

The Strumbellas Are Awesome

There is a 99% chance that if I mentioned The Strumbellas to you, you probably wouldn't know who I was referring to.

That being said, there is also a 99% chance that if I started singing "I got guns in my head and they won't go; spirits in my head and they won't go" you would say "Oh my God, I love that song!".

This band is great and the song is great.

Upon research, I found some things in common between myself and the fabulous lead singer, by the name of Simon Ward. Raised in Lindsay, Ontario; Ward, wanting to create a band of his own, decided to create Craigslist ads in order to recruit further instrumentalists for his local band. 

(I tried Kijiji. It didn't work. Lot's of perverts.)

Through Craigslist, Ward eventually came across David Ritter who would accompany him on vocals and play keys and Isabelle Ritchie on violin, to join his local founding members, Jon Hembrey on lead guitar, Darryl James for bass guitar, and Jeremy Drury on drums. 

To me, there seems to be a very "family" feeling to the group. Like they are all very close, regardless of the fact that two of the instrumentalists were discovered through a sketchy internet ad source (hey, you gotta do what you gotta do). 

Together they formed an amazingly incredible band that I really love. They sound so awesome in a folk-bluegrass-pop kind of way. They're incredibly mesmerizing and cool whilst incredibly friends-at-a-campfire sounding, simultaneously.

Ah, Canadians. I feel like all we do is create miracles and have America yank it away from us amidst screaming "MINE, MINE, MINE". 
America is like that pain in the *ss kid from school when you were little that would take other kids drawings and show it to the teacher saying things like "LOOK WHAT I DID" while Canada, the true artist, is just sitting in his chair saying "...okay."

I mean, Canadians have been giving away essential talent to the American music industry for years. Even the embarrassing ones. 

Justin Bieber, The Weeknd, Drake, Deadmau5... it adds up. 

It's become a thing where media goes "AND THIS AMAZINGLY TALENTED ARTIST HAS ACHIEVED BLAH BLAH BLAH AND DONE BLAH BLAH BLAH AFTER RELEASING BLAH BLAH BLAH and oh by the way they're Canadian

Really guys? #CanucksNeedCredit

And now we've got The Strumbellas. They're so awesome and if they break through the industry  in a big way they're going to become so gaggingly American. 

Nevertheless, I love this band, because they sound really f*cking cool and their latest song Spirits is pretty awesome. 

And they're Canadian.

So check it out.


Love,

Chelsea

P.s. I was looking for a picture to fully emphasize the Canadian-ness or The Strumbellas when I came across this beauty of a photo




Click the Google+ button below to gimme a like 👍

No comments:

Post a Comment