Monday, August 8, 2016

A Recent Appreciation For The Neighbourhood

It's starting to seem like not many people know The Neighbourhood for much else besides Sweater Weather.

The Neighbourhood is a brilliant alternative rock band, up there with Arctic Monkeys and The 1975, but seemingly not as well known. And I have to admit, I didn't used to appreciate them as much as I do now.

I love the ambience and subtly of most of The NBHD's songs. They have enough softness to fall asleep to and enough intensity to work out to, which is a real plus for someone like myself (believe it or not, I actually do leave the internet sometimes).

And to deny that Jesse Rutherford has a beautiful voice is just musical blasphemy.

When I was first introduced to The NBHD, it was through listening to Shawn Mendes's and Alessia Cara's (amongst others) cover versions of Sweater Weather on Youtube, which compelled me to listen to the original.



I'm not gonna lie, I wasn't impressed. Rutherford's voice was fine, the song was decent, and the lyrics were okay.

But I don't listen to fine.

I don't blog about decent.

And I don't buy just okay.

After a first impression, they appeared to be just another band teenage girls fangirl over because the lead singer is cute (*hypocritically says the girl with a Jesse Rutherford poster in her bedroom).

So I restricted myself from listening to anything else they've done. I have a really bad habit of doing that. A childlike stubbornness that has plagued me throughout the years (still have yet to even attempt listening to a single Pierce The Veil song).

Sometimes I'll listen to one song I don't like or I'll hear that the band is popular with girls on Tumblr and I'll just forget about them, which in retrospect is not a good mindset for a music blogger (I'm working on it).



What initially deterred me from them was the over-editing of the vocals and the fact that by then I'd heard so many people cover SW on Youtube that by the time I went to listen to the original, I already wanted to blow my brains out after the first bar.

But as of the last couple of months, I've come to really appreciate The Neighbourhood, after listening to live versions of their songs.

Key word being live.

LIVE.

This always gets me. I'll dislike a band because of the edited vocals and then hear the acoustic version later and end up blown away. Always listen to the band live before you discredit them. Some bands are just better that way.


The point that I'm getting at is that Rutherford has a gorgeous live voice that he needs serious appreciation and recognition for and some of his other songs are amazing. I think the bands biggest flaw is that they don't take advantage of the guys real voice. They use echo effect and compression consistently on his vocals WHERE. IT. IS. NOT. NEEDED.

That being said, the older songs like Afraid and Daddy Issues are f*cking awesome. I personally love these two and they're even better live.



So there you go. Go listen to a Neighbourhood song that isn't Sweater Weather.



Love,

Chelsea









No comments:

Post a Comment