Monday, August 1, 2016

The Sadly Forgotten Soundtrack Of The Twilight Saga: New Moon

It's hard to believe that the second film adaption of the Twilight series came out seven years ago. Like really? Am I getting that old?

Well while listening to Death Cab For Cutie, I was reminded of how, regardless of the infamously bad acting of the movie, the soundtrack was actually pretty bad*ss. Chris Weitz couldn't direct a movie to save his life, but the soundtrack (created by Alexandre Desplat and Alexandra Patsavas) makes the movie less of a total waste of two hours.

I'm actually surprised nobody took note of it at the time. Except for myself, of course. (Yes, I actually had a physical copy of the New Moon soundtrack on CD because 11 year old me was just as psychotic as 17 year old me.)

I also happened to listen to that soundtrack all the f*cking time. I put it into my early 2000's karaoke machine and played it on an infinite loop for what must have been months, with the occasional replacement of my Best Of The 80s CD (I have never been ahead of the times).

So before you brush off my young selfs choice of music, I urge you to take a look at the soundtrack (which you can listen to here).

Death Cab For Cutie - Meet Me On The Equinox
Band Of Skulls - Friends
Thom Yorke - Hearing Damage
Lykke Li - Possibility 
The Killers - A White Demon Love Song
Anya Marina - Satellite Heart
Muse - I Belong To You
Bon Iver & St. Vincent - Roslyn
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Done All Wrong
Hurricane Bells - Monsters
Sea Wolf - The Violet Hour
OK Go - Shooting The Moon
Grizzly Bear & Victoria Legrand - Slow Life
Editors - No Sound But The Wind
Alexandre Desplat - New Moon 

DCFC? Thom York? The Killers? OK Go?

(Also, the original Twilight movie soundtrack featured MUTEMATH, AKA ONE OF MY FAVOURITE BANDS EVER)

Who would have thought that a movie sequel about teenage vampires would have such a fantastic f*cking playlist? It's the type of playlist you would sit and listen to in bed at three in the morning. Well, maybe that's just me.

What I love about it is all the songs have this same feeling of disturbed, strung-out, wickedness. It almost makes you feel like a lonely vampire yourself. (Not that I don't always feel that way regardless).

And there you have it. I feel like people are really missing out on this cinematic soundtrack gold. The movie may have received a staggering 4.6 on IMDB, but the soundtrack gets a 10/10 from me. The only thing it was missing was Kid Cudi's, No One Believes Me.

So please check it out so that we can be lonely vampires together.

Bloodthirstily Yours,

Chelsea 




1 comment:

  1. the first album soundtrack was pretty good. you inspired me to check out this one.

    ReplyDelete