Thursday, May 18, 2017

Future Islands: Synthpop of Baltimore, Maryland

I'll bet absolutely none of you have been wondering where the fuck I've been. Although, if you're here, you must like me somewhat, right?

Regardless, the explanation for my absence is quite simple; I had nothing to write about that wasn't personal and/or not music related and I was busy.

A quick catch up? I met the most amazing boy, I kept waitressing, I went on a fabulous drunken weekend vacation with some crazy people, I spent another weekend with some more awesomely crazy people in Charleviox, I lost my voice for about a month, I periodically lost my Macbook (rum & coke and I now have a love/hate relationship), I bought a fake ID, I had a bouncer take my fake ID away, I turned down the offer to do a TV show, I indefinitely quit drinking caffeine, and I recently decided to change my career path (I have 50 tabs worth of commercial real estate open as we speak).

As of right now, this is all I can muster of interest to recall, regarding my life.

But let's not talk about me, let's talk about an amazing band, because that's what we're all really here to discuss.

THE IMPORTANT SHIT IS BELOW THIS LINE

You're welcome.

To begin, anyone who knows me knows that I have a serious and possibly unhealthy obsession with anything involving synthesizers. Future Islands is no exception.

Transformed from a blend of keyboards, drums, bass, and an exceptionally distinct voice; Future Islands is a self described post-waveband consisting of Gerrit Welmers, William Cashion, and Samuel Herring, that creates all of the 80s nostalgia-inducing synth-pop along with all the modern uniqueness necessary to be regarded as something very special in my eyes.

My favourite aspect of Future Islands is something I love in many artists, which is an upbeat and optimistic sound paired with depressing and melancholy lyrics. I mean, is there really anything better than that combination?

A sound that makes you happy but isn't devoid of meaning and can make you feel like you're not the singular person going through a particular struggle?

*cough* Fuck you Justin Timberlake *cough*

Now, I wish I could give you a few names of songs that are my favourite, but every damn one of them is fucking fantastic. So I'm going to tell you to start by listening to "Ran" and go from there.

The rest is up to you, kid.



Yours,

Chelsea

P.s. Future Islands will be performing at the Danforth on May 27th; unfortunately I cannot attend seeing as what was previously mentioned, I no longer have a fake ID. If you yourself happen to go, please let me know how fantastical it is. 



(*Post-Wave: I.E. A beautiful combination of New Wave and Post Punk)



No comments:

Post a Comment